Sunday 26 August 2012

One trick pony VS Jack of all trades

Hope everyone is having a lovely bank holiday weekend!  After having lovely cocktails last night (made by moi!) today has been very relaxed.....always good :).  But I had been meaning to read an article shared by the lovely Studio Seed on their Facebook page.  The article, originally from Johanna Basford's blog, was discussing designers, illustrators etc having a certain style or being fairly versatile.  I am always intrigued on thoughts of this as just graduating I always question should I be versatile as to appeal to a wider audience, companies etc OR should I maintain a style recognisable to me?
The article itself is beautifully written so have a read and see what your thoughts are on the matter, I personally believe go with what suits you as a designer.
There are plenty of designers and illustrators who have had successful careers either way and it all depends on you and how you work.  There are pro's and con's to both but I just think no matter which style you fit you will more than likely think the grass is greener on the other side.
Let me know your thoughts on the matter :)
http://www.johannabasford.com/blog-article/335

No comments:

Post a Comment